Can I apply for a conference travel grant if I am out of the country?


Dear Deans,

I’d like to apply for a Graduate School conference travel grant. Am I eligible if I am on a leave of absence? I have moved out of the country while I write my dissertation, but I want to stay engaged professionally and present my research at a conference this year.


International Grad Student


Dear International Grad Student,

You must be a registered student to be awarded Cornell funds for a conference travel grant, but the good news is that it appears that you might be eligible to be a registered student on In Absentia status.

Jan Allen, associate dean for academic and student affairs


If you are studying or conducting research that is part of your Cornell degree requirements 100 miles or more away from campus, then you may register for In Absentia status for one or two semesters, with a maximum of eight semesters in this status via additional petitions for annual renewal and extension. The petition form, with more information, is here.

While in this registration status, students remain eligible for fellowships, some assistantships, student health insurance, and educational loans. Tuition is $200 per semester registered in In Absentia status.

If you have questions, email me at

Best wishes, 

Jan Allen
Associate Dean for Academic and Student Affairs