Navigating Graduate School
Transitioning to Graduate School
To ease your transition, the Graduate School offers a variety of programs at Orientation and beyond to help you integrate into the community, manage your expectations, and get a good start on your academic career.
Orientation Week Programs - August 22 - 26
- Orientation, ID distribution, and resource fair - Monday, August 22 from 8:30 am to noon in Bailey Hall
- Developing Your Strategic Plan for Graduate School Success - Monday, August 22 from 1:00 – 2:00 pm. RSVP by Friday, August 19
- Ice Cream Social - Monday, August 22 from 3:30-5:30 at the Big Red Barn Graduate and Professional Student Center
- Ithaca By Night - Tuesday, August 23 from 5:30-9:30: Ithaca By Night. Meet up with other incoming students for dinner at one of the many great Ithaca restaurants, guided by a current student. Bring cash for your portion of the dinner.
- New Student Mix and Mingle - Friday, August 26 from 3:30-4:30 at the Big Red Barn.
- TGIF (Tell Grads It’s Friday) - Friday, August 26 from 4:30-7:00 at the Big Red Barn ($1 Beer)
Links to Cornell Offices
With its large and decentralized campus, finding the right office can take time. The following websites offer links and portals to important information for new students.
Personal Finances, Fellowships, and Funding
- Direct deposit for stipend and assistantship checks
- Personal Finance @ Cornell - Learn how to manage your finances in graduate school
- Graduate School Emergency Funds - Help in extenuating circumstances for qualified graduate students
- Graduate School Fellowship Workshops - Learn how to write an effective external fellowship application
- International Research and Language Fellowship and Grant Funding and Information Sessions - Learn how to write an effective fellowship application for international research and language fellowships, including Fulbrights.
- External Fellowships - Information about obtaining an external fellowship
- Fellowship Database- Searchable database of external fellowships
Where to Go for Help
- Cornell Health
- Caring Community
- Empathy, Assistance and Referral Services (EARS)
- English Language Support Office (ELSO)
- Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)
- Office of University Ombudsman
- Resource List for Graduate and Professional Students (pdf)
- 211 Tompkins Information Referral
- Office of Graduate Student Life