CIRTLCast: Digging Deeper - A Focus on Research Using Qualitative Design
Understand the fundamentals of qualitative research and how it differs from quantitative research. Events will focus on three key elements of qualitative research: why it matters, how to design a qualitative research project, and how to incorporate observational data into your work. Learn more
- Thursday, May 3, 2018, 2-3pm ET
- Explore the fundamental differences between qualitative orientations and more common research designs in STEM. Learn about the theoretical foundations behind qualitative research, and come away with a greater understanding for how and why qualitative research looks and feels different.
- Thursday, May 10, 2018, 2-3pm ET
- Learn why qualitative research is called “flexible” design, why flexibility is needed in qualitative research, and what research rigor looks like in a qualitative context. Understand what it takes to design a qualitative inquiry question and a qualitative research project, and learn the difference between research rigor in quantitative versus qualitative designs.
- Thursday, May 17, 2018, 2-3pm ET
- Dig into the tool that is at the heart of qualitative research: the observation. Building off of our previous discussion of research rigor, we will discuss how observational data can add a richness to your research, and participants will learn the basics of observational data collection. Participants will take part in a brief observation exercise and practice the art of taking field notes.