Nature Masterclasses offers advice and insights from the editors at Nature about scientific writing, publishing, authorship, and peer review.
Register an account on the Nature Masterclasses website. You may be prompted to login with your Cornell NetID if you are off-campus, then register for the site with a valid email address to access videos and other materials. Topics include:
- Planning and Writing a Paper, including what makes a great paper, writing your introduction through conclusion, and data management
- Submitting to a Journal, including selecting a journal for publication, presenting data, and understanding the editorial process
- Publication and Authorship, including understanding peer review, authorship, and author responsibilities
Access to Nature Masterclasses at Cornell is provided by the Graduate School, the Office of Faculty Development and Diversity, the Office of Research, and the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education.
Aligning with your access to the Nature Masterclass website and videos, the Graduate School is offering a new workshop series focusing on writing and publishing. Join us for discussion of issues and your questions about writing for publication. Sessions will include panels of Cornell faculty and video segments with journal editors. Join us for lively conversation.
2020 Graduate School Workshops:
- Writing a Great (Publishable) Paper: Access the June 25, 2020 handout.
- Identifying Publishers, Signing a Contract, and Publishing Your Book: More information and registration for July 15, 2020
- Selecting a Journal, Writing a Cover Letter, and Navigating Submissions: More information and registration for August 14, 2020
- Authorship: Roles, Responsibilities, and Who Decides: More information and registration for September 15, 2020
- Marketing Your Scholarship: More information and registration for October 19, 2020
- Peer Review and Journal Decisions: More information and registration for November 18, 2020
2019 Graduate School Workshops:
- Writing a Great (Publishable) Paper: July 24, 2019
- Selecting a Journal, Writing a Cover Letter, and Navigating Submission: Access the August 19, 2019 handout.
- Authorship: Roles, Responsibilities, and Who Decides: October 23, 2019
- Peer Review and Journal Decisions: November 13, 2019
- Productive Writing Strategies and Tools: December 10, 2019