We are introducing a new resource to help you with your scientific writing. Nature Masterclasses offers advice and insights from the editors at Nature about scientific writing, publishing, authorship, and peer review.
Register an account on the Nature Masterclasses website. You may be prompted to login with your Cornell NetID if you are off-campus, then register for the site with a valid email address to access videos and other materials. Topics include:
- Planning and Writing a Paper, including what makes a great paper, writing your introduction through conclusion, and data management
- Submitting to a Journal, including selecting a journal for publication, presenting data, and understanding the editorial process
- Publication and Authorship, including understanding peer review, authorship, and author responsibilities
Aligning with your access to the Nature Masterclass website and videos, the Graduate School is offering a new workshop series, started this summer and continuing throughout the academic year, focusing on writing and publishing. Join us for discussion of issues and your questions about writing for publication. Sessions will include panels of Cornell faculty and video segments with journal editors. Join us for lively conversation and refreshments.
Pre-register for one or more of the Graduate School workshops on these topics:
- Writing a Great (Publishable) Paper: Access the July 24, 2019 handout.
- Selecting a Journal, Writing a Cover Letter, and Navigating Submission: Access the August 19, 2019 handout.
- Authorship: Roles, Responsibilities, and Who Decides: Pre-register for October 23, 2019, 5:30 to 6:30 pm, 341 Caldwell Hall.
- Peer Review and Journal Decisions: Pre-register for November 13, 4:30 to 5:30 pm, 341 Caldwell Hall.
- Productive Writing Strategies and Tools: Pre-register for December 10, 12:00 to 1:00 pm, 341 Caldwell Hall.
Coming Spring and Summer 2020:
- Identifying Publishers, Signing a Contract, and Publishing Your Book
- Understanding the Editorial Process
- What Editors Want Writers to Know
- Data Management
- How to Design and Present Data
- Choosing a Repository and Preparing Data
Access to Nature Masterclasses at Cornell is provided by the Graduate School, the Office of Faculty Development and Diversity, the Office of Research, and the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education.