Hospitality Management, Ph.D. (Ithaca)
Field of Study
The School of Hotel Administration’s highly competitive PhD program in Hotel Administration is a research-focused degree designed for students interested in pursuing a career teaching hospitality management in a university setting and conducting groundbreaking research in the field.
Concentrations by Subject
- financial management
- food and beverage management
- hospitality management
- hotel accounting
- human resource management
- properties asset management (minor)
- real estate management (minor)
Application Requirements and Deadlines
Dec. 15, August enrollment only
- all Graduate School Requirements, including the TOEFL Exam or IELTS for Non-Native English Applicants
- GMAT or GRE
- Resume or CV
- Two letters of recommendation
- TOEFL minimum score of 100 Internet-based (iBT), 250 computer-based (CBT), or 600 paper-based (PBT) or IELTS minimum overall band score of 7.0
Admission is offered for August enrollment only. Applications must be submitted by Dec. 15. A personal interview is by invitation only after review of the application.
Learning Goals for the Ph.D. Degree
The Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree is a highly individualized program directed toward students who plan to teach and perform research in a university setting. By the end of the first year of study students will select a Special Committee of graduate faculty members (three for PhD candidates), who will guide the candidate in developing a course of study suited to his or her background and interests.
Candidates will develop a broad-based knowledge of hospitality management, learn research methodology including statistical methods, become proficient at in-depth research, and acquire teaching and administrative skills.