Sociology M.A. (Ithaca)
Field of Study
Master's degree candidates major in general sociology. Students in either degree program are expected to prepare themselves to undertake research both through formal course work and through apprenticeships in the ongoing research activities of the faculty.
Contact InformationWebsite: http://www.soc.cornell.edu/graduate/
Phone: 607 255-4266
316 Uris Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853
Concentrations by Subject
- economy and society
- gender and life course
- methodology (minor)
- policy analysis (minor)
- political sociology/social movements
- racial and ethnic relations
- social networks
- social psychology
- social stratification
Application Requirements and Deadlines
Fall, Jan. 15
Applicants are required to submit GRE general test scores. A field brochure is available on request from the graduate field office.
- all Graduate School Requirements, including the TOEFL Exam or IELTS Academic Exam for non-native English applicants
- two recommendations
- GRE general test
- writing sample
When students complete the Ph.D. in sociology, they should be able to
- Conduct original, publishable research.
- Demonstrate a broad knowledge of theory and research in two sub-fields within the discipline.
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge at the research frontier of one area of specialization.
- Write and speak effectively to professional and general audiences about issues in the field.
- Teach effectively: design a course, grade and comment on student work, lead discussion and lecture.