Seeking mentors for undergraduate students
Graduate students and postdoctoral scholars - would you like to mentor undergraduate students towards college success? The program below is currently seeking applicants, especially those from the arts, humanities, and social sciences.
OADI Student Success Programs
Call for Graduate/Postdoctoral Mentors
The Office of Academic Diversity Initiatives (OADI) invites applications from graduate students and post-doctoral fellows/associates who wish to support undergraduate students’ scholarship and professional development for the 2014-2015 year.
- Impact the success of emerging scholar-leaders through group and individual mentoring
- Help build a community of multicultural scholars interested in pursuing graduate school and demystify the graduate school application process and student life
- Experience with engaging students and facilitating research skills; deepen understanding of underrepresented, undergraduate students’ learning styles
- Eligibility to apply for OADI funding to support your own research and professional development opportunities!
- Attend a lunch training session to discuss OADI’s mission, students, and mentoring
- Meet in a small mentoring group at least two times per semester and hold one 1:1 session with each of your 2-3 assigned mentees per semester to provide insight and guidance on research/grad application process
- Provide mentees at least one opportunity to “shadow” you during your own research presentations, faculty lectures, class or related events, so these emerging scholars can personally experience graduate life
- Meet with the OADI Student Success Programs staff to discuss important dynamics in the mentoring process, students’ research progress, mentor’s balance, etc.
- Attendance at Spring Diversity in Scholarship & Engagement event to support OADI students as they present their work
- Total expected time commitment: 10 hours per semester
- Graduate students and postdoctoral scholars, particularly those who are in the arts, humanities, social sciences and professional fields
- Please submit your resume/CV and a cover letter stating your interest in and qualifications for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, please contact Risë Nelson Burrow, Director of Student Success Programs, at email@example.com.