A fellowship provides financial support to graduate students to pursue graduate studies without associated teaching or research responsibilites (as they are in a teaching or research assistantship). Fellowships are generally merit-based internal or external awards to support a student in a full-time course of study.
The Graduate School funds a significant number of entering doctoral students with fellowships awarded through their graduate field.
Cornell University Fellowships
Approximately 20 percent of our doctoral students studying on campus receive Cornell University Fellowships (referred to as Sage Fellowships or Cornell Fellowships depending on the field of study). These fellowships typically include full tuition, a nine-month stipend, and Cornell individual student health insurance. A summer stipend may also be provided to students.
Graduate School Fellowships in Support of Diversity for Incoming Students
- SUNY Graduate Diversity Fellowship—for recruitment of research degree students; awarded in contract colleges for incoming, new students
- Deans Excellence Fellowship — for recruitment of research degree students; awarded in endowed colleges for incoming, new students
- Deans McNair Graduate Fellowship — for recruitment of research degree students; awarded in contract and endowed colleges for incoming, new students who were McNair Scholars at their undergraduate institutions
Thanks to Scandinavia
Students from Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden or Bulgaria are eligible for this fellowship established by Thanks to Scandinavia in gratitude for the humanity and bravery of the people throughout Scandinavia and Bulgaria who protected persons of the Jewish faith during and after World War II. The fellowship includes a nine-month stipend full tuition, and Cornell individual student health insurance. Eligible students are nominated by the Graduate School each spring with awards being made for the following academic year.
Ph.D. applicants who are citizens of an African country and not permanent residents of the United States are eligible for this award. The fellowship includes a nine-month stipend full tuition, and Cornell individual student health insurance. To request consideration for this fellowship, please notify your graduate field of your eligibility and request that they nominate you to the Graduate School prior to the fellowship deadline of February 15.
- New Student Fellowships
- Continuing Student Fellowships
- Presidential Life Science Fellowship
- External Fellowships
- Fellowship Workshops