Cutting Short a Ph.D.

Earning a Non-Thesis Master's Degree (Cutting Short a Ph.D. Program)

Some fields allow a Special Committee to nominate a doctoral candidate for a non-thesis M.A. or M.S. upon completion of the admission to candidacy exam (A exam). Such a nomination requires the student to have earned at least four registration units. Performance on the exam should be at least at the level of a passed master's exam. Your GFA will know if your field offers this option.