Careers protecting human health and the environment
April 27, 2022 @ 3:30 pm - 5:00 pm
- This event has passed.
Join a panel of experts from the NIH, EPA, and two academic institutions to learn about careers protecting human health and the environment, a biosafety fellowship, on-campus mentors, and resources to help you see if this sector is for you, within or outside academic settings.
We will discuss career paths, mentorship, resources, connections and opportunities. We’ll also get an overview of the NIH National Biosafety and Biocontainment Training Program Intramural Research Training Award (NBBTP/IRTA Fellowship) from several points of view.
Hosted by Careers Beyond Academia. An online event, link provided below.
By participating in this event, you will learn about:
Careers and opportunities using your interests and skills in this sector
- within and beyond academia
- communication of complex research topics to broad audiences
- an interest in how to regulate research in a safe and ethical way
Resources that were helpful in the panelists’ career trajectory so far
- connections and conversations with (alumni) professionals in these types of roles
- fellowship application process
A roadmap for what you could be doing while still at Cornell to
- rule in or rule out a tangential career in this sector to see if it’s for you
- gain experiences that will make you more attractive to employers in this area
Jessica McCormick-Ell, Division Director, Occupational Health and Safety at The National Institutes of Health
Alexis Brubaker, Associate University Compliance Officer at Cornell University
Endia Blunt, Biologist at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Andrea Vogel, Health And Safety Specialist at Duke University Health System
Susi Varvayanis, Executive Director, Careers Beyond Academia, Cornell University Graduate School
Held via Zoom. Join using this link. Meeting ID: 534 497 5582 Password: GradCareer