Welcome to Cornell!
Congratulations and welcome! We are excited that you will join us this January in beautiful Ithaca, New York!
Please note: Graduate School Orientation does not replace your graduate field’s orientation program, it supplements it and introduces you to Cornell’s larger, interdisciplinary community. Please consult your field’s website for field and college-specific orientation programs.
Orientation Program (11:00 am – 1:00 pm)
Learn about Cornell and Graduate School requirements and resources. Current graduate and professional students will share strategies and advice, especially about the transition to Ithaca and to graduate school.
Additional Graduate School Orientation Events
- Friday, January 25, 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm: New Student Mix & Mingle is an opportunity to network over beer and snacks with other first-year students at the Big Red Barn.
- Friday, January 25, 4:30 pm – 7:00 pm: TGIF (Tell Grads It’s Friday) at the Big Red Barn ($1 beer and free snacks).
If you have any questions, or need accommodations to participate in any Orientation events, please contact Janna Lamey, Assistant Dean for Graduate Student Life (607-255-5184 or email@example.com).
For International Students: Please plan to attend the Spring Orientation Program for international students on Friday, January 18 from 2:30 – 3:15 pm in the Willard Straight Hall Memorial Room.
Before You Arrive:
- If you have not already done so, visit the New Students web page for information specifically for graduate and professional students
- Respect at Cornell: Cornell University is committed to providing a safe, inclusive, and respectful learning, living, and working environment for its students, faculty, and staff members. It is expected that all graduate and professional students complete Not Anymore, a video-based program. The program provides critical information about sexual harassment, sexual assault, dating and domestic violence, stalking, gender discrimination and bystander intervention options. Not Anymore will help you understand the vital importance and your role in campus safer. You can log in directly from the New Students website.
- Official Transcript: If you haven’t already sent your final transcript to the Graduate School, our Graduate School Student Services Office please swing by 143 Caldwell Hall to drop off your copy.
- Work Authorization (I-9): If you are scheduled to receive funding from Cornell or plan to hold a job on campus, please come prepared to complete the federal I-9 form. Bring identification. Your field or department may assist you in completing this requirement or you may complete this at dates/ times below. Drop by, with identification, during any of the times below:
- CALS HR Office, 220 Bruckner Lab/ Hall, Monday- Friday from 8:00 am- 3:00 pm, or
- Cornell SC Johnson College of Business, Statler Student Employment, Payroll Office, 135 Statler Hall, Monday- Friday from 8:30 am- 3:30 pm, or
- Human Resource Service Center, 395 Pine Tree Road, EHOB, Suite 110, Monday- Friday from 8:30 am- 3:30 pm