Molecular and Cell Biology Ph.D. (Ithaca)
Field of Study
The graduate program in the Field of Biochemistry, Molecular and Cell Biology offers a Ph.D. degree only. The goal of our program is to introduce and educate students about the fascination of this scientific area, as well as provide them with the tools necessary to succeed in it. The program offers the opportunity to undertake forefront research with access to the latest technology and equipment. Our program includes flexible coursework that intends to provide a depth and breadth of knowledge in the scientific areas encompassed by the field, develop written communication skills, and inform on research ethics. In addition to coursework, students are required to complete three research rotations during their first year and a one-semester teaching experience (usually in the second year).
Contact InformationWebsite: http://bmcb.cornell.edu
Phone: 607 255-2100
107 Biotechnology Building
Ithaca, NY 14853
Concentrations by Subject
- cell biology
- molecular biology
Visit the Graduate School's Tuition Rates page.
Application Requirements and Deadlines
Fall, Dec. 1; no spring admission
Candidates come from many academic backgrounds; however, matriculating students will have commonly majored in one of the many areas of biology, chemistry, or physics. There are no set standards; rather we are searching for applicants who we believe can flourish in the program. The Admissions Committee considers the potential for each applicant to succeed, and past or ongoing research experience is considered an important indicator for success in the program. A holistic review takes into account not only the applicant's academic background and research experience but also the applicant’s accomplishments, character, and life experiences. The academic record (GPA) and research experience are considered alongside the statement of purpose and letters of recommendation. There is not a grade point average minimum or cutoff. We value diversity in all its forms.
- All Graduate School Requirements, including the English Language Proficiency Requirement for all applicants
- Applicants are required to supply the following items:
- Current transcripts, all colleges attended
- Three letters of recommendation
- Statement of Purpose (Academic and Personal)
- Proof of English language competency
- Curriculum Vitae
Upon completion of a Ph.D., students will be able to:
- Make an original and substantial contribution to the field.
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of one area of expertise.
- Demonstrate a broad knowledge of theory and research across several sub-disciplines in the field.
- Learn and follow ethical guidelines for working in the field.
- Write and speak effectively to professional and lay audiences about issues in the field.