English Language Proficiency Requirement
What you Need to Know
- Note: policy changes and testing accommodations related to the COVID-19 pandemic can be found in the COVID-19 section of our FAQ.
- With very few exceptions, international applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency by submitting IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Academic or TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores to the Graduate School. Exceptions are noted below.
- IELTS Academic and TOEFL scores are valid only if dated within two years of your program’s application deadline.
- Check minimum IELTS Academic and TOEFL score requirements with individual graduate fields. Some fields’ minimum score requirements are higher than the Graduate School’s.
English Language Proficiency Requirement
All international applicants must demonstrate proficiency in the English language. International students demonstrate proficiency by submitting official IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Academic or TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) exam scores. Cornell does not accept PTE Academic scores or any other alternatives. An application cannot be considered for admission until Cornell receives official IELTS Academic or TOEFL scores. If your official IELTS Academic or TOEFL scores are not received, are no longer valid, or do not meet the minimum score requirements, we cannot issue a student visa document.
The Graduate School requires an overall band score of a 7.0 or higher on the IELTS Academic exam.
- When you register for the exam, you may select up to 5 institutions to which you would like to have your scores sent. Cornell University has multiple IELTS accounts so please be sure to select Cornell University Graduate Admissions when registering for your IELTS test date.
- You may also submit a request to your test center to have additional score reports sent to institutions not originally listed on your test registration form. Scores must be sent electronically (e-delivery) to the Cornell University Graduate Admissions, Caldwell Hall e-download account. E-delivery may also be referred to as an e-TRF by your test center.
- The IELTS score must be dated within two years of your program’s application deadline. Scores must be delivered electronically through the IELTS E-Delivery service.
For applicants living in regions where the TOEFL iBT is not available, Cornell will accept scores for the paper-delivered test. Although individual graduate fields may require higher scores, The Graduate School’s official minimum sub-scores for each element of the TOEFL iBT are:
- Send scores to Cornell University Graduate School, Institution Code 2098. Department codes are not used for matching scores to applications; if ETS requires you to select a department code, you may choose “undecided” or “not listed”.
- The TOEFL score must be dated within two years of your program’s application deadline. Photocopies of TOEFL score reports will not be accepted.
- Take the TOEFL early enough to have the results submitted at the time of your application. Exam dates are posted on the TOEFL website. Please note that we cannot confirm receipt of test scores until an applicant has submitted an online application.
- If you receive your test results and any sub-score does not meet the requirement, you should make arrangements to retake the test.
Graduate Field Requirements
Questions about your English language proficiency? Contact the graduate field to which you are applying. Administrators in your proposed field will guide you through the application process and will communicate with other offices at Cornell as needed to gather additional information.
If you still have questions after talking to your graduate field, contact the Graduate School Admissions Office for more information.
The English language proficiency requirement may be waived if the applicant meets at least one of these criteria:
- is a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, or a citizen of the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, or Canada (except Quebec). Applicants who are citizens of India, Pakistan, the Philippines, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc. are not exempt from the requirement.
- at the time you enroll at Cornell, you will have studied in full-time status for at least two academic years within the last five years in the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand, or with English language instruction in Canada or South Africa. Even if English was the language of instruction at your school, if you did not study in one of these countries you are not exempt from the requirement. You must submit a transcript that shows you attended college in one of the approved locations, and that your academic program was at least two years in length.