Sociology Ph.D. (Ithaca)
Field of Study
Contact InformationWebsite: https://sociology.cornell.edu/graduate
Phone: 607 255-4266
316 Uris Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853
Concentrations by Subject
- community & urban sociology
- computational social science
- culture (minor)
- economy and society
- inequality and social stratification
- methodology (minor)
- organizations, work and occupations
- policy analysis (minor)
- political sociology/social movements
- race, ethnicity and immigration
- science, technology & medicine (minor)
- social demography
- social networks
- social psychology (minor)
- sociology of education
- sociology of family
- sociology of health and illness
Application Requirements and Deadlines
Fall, Jan. 15
- Academic Statement of Purpose
- Personal Statement
- Writing Sample
- College Transcript(s)
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation
- GRE Scores (recommended, but not required, for admission for Fall 2021)
- TOEFL test scores (if applicable)
- Nonrefundable application fee of $105
The Field of Sociology focuses on five key goals for our graduate students.
Students who are working to complete a Ph.D. in Sociology should be able to:
Conduct original, publishable research.
Demonstrate a broad knowledge of theory and research in two subfields within the discipline.
Demonstrate in-depth knowledge at the research frontier of one area of specialization.
Write and speak effectively to professional and general audiences about issues in the field.
Teach effectively. Design a course, grade and comment constructively and authoritatively on student work, lead discussion, and lecture.