Sociology Ph.D. (Ithaca)
Field of Study
Contact InformationWebsite: https://sociology.cornell.edu/graduate
Phone: 607 255-4266
316 Uris Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853
Concentrations by Subject
- community & urban sociology
- computational social science
- culture (minor)
- economy and society
- inequality and social stratification
- methodology (minor)
- organizations, work and occupations
- policy analysis (minor)
- political sociology/social movements
- race, ethnicity and immigration
- science, technology & medicine (minor)
- social demography
- social networks
- social psychology (minor)
- sociology of education
- sociology of family
- sociology of health and illness
Application Requirements and Deadlines
Fall, Jan. 15
The Field of Sociology focuses on five key goals for our graduate students.
Students who are working to complete a Ph.D. in Sociology should be able to:
Conduct original, publishable research.
Demonstrate a broad knowledge of theory and research in two subfields within the discipline.
Demonstrate in-depth knowledge at the research frontier of one area of specialization.
Write and speak effectively to professional and general audiences about issues in the field.
Teach effectively. Design a course, grade and comment constructively and authoritatively on student work, lead discussion, and lecture.