Philosophy Ph.D. (Ithaca)
Field of Study
The Ph.D. program is designed to be completed in five years. Accordingly, students in the program are typically guaranteed full financial support for five years. The Sage School does not offer a terminal master's degree. For detailed information on the Graduate Program in Philosophy, please visit the Sage School of Philosophy Web site.
Contact InformationWebsite: http://philosophy.cornell.edu/graduate
Phone: 607 255-3687
218 Goldwin Smith Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853
Concentrations by Subject
Application Requirements and Deadlines
Fall, Jan. 15; no spring admission
Submit the following to the Graduate School via the online application:
- Biographical information
- Academic information (including unofficial transcripts)
- If applicable, TOEFL scores. (GRE scores are not needed.)
- Recommender information
- Three to five letters of recommendation; total of five letters of recommendation will be accepted (submit all online), but only three are required
- Financial support information
- Statement of Purpose
- Writing sample in philosophy (typically 15 but no more than 30 pages long)
- Application fee
- Note: GRE test scores are no longer required for application to this program
The successful graduate student in our program will know how to “do philosophy” as the discipline is currently practiced in the Anglo-American tradition. This involves, among other things, being able to:
(1) Think clearly and creatively about fundamental concepts.
(2) Generate original arguments about topics of philosophical significance
(3) Write in a clear and logically-perspicuous fashion, and
(4) Reconstruct and evaluate the philosophical arguments of others.
(5) In addition, students will be competent in the history of philosophy and in philosophical and/or mathematical logic.
(6) Finally, students will be accomplished classroom teachers and seminar leaders.