Tuition and Late Stage Reduced Tuition
All registered students are charged tuition during each semester of the academic year. Tuition varies with field and degree program.
University assistantships and fellowships generally include tuition.
If you are not receiving tuition support from Cornell, the tuition rates page will help you budget.
While tuition cannot be “waived,” students may receive a full or partial credit, or may apply for a status that includes a reduced tuition rate under some circumstances.
- Assistantships and fellowships – Students who receive standard university assistantships (teaching assistants, research assistants, graduate research assistants, and graduate assistants) or fellowships generally receive full tuition support from Cornell.
- Professional student funding – Professional students may receive funding from their field or department that will be applied as a tuition credit.
- Loans – Student loans can be applied toward tuition costs.
- In Absentia tuition – Full-time students in good academic standing may petition for in absentia status if they will be greater than 100 miles from campus during the academic year while continuing to engage in research, scholarship, or study under the guidance of their special committee. The tuition charge for this status is $200 per semester.
- Reduced Tuition for Advanced Self-Pay Doctoral Students – For doctoral students who have exhausted their funding commitment and will be paying their own tuition in their 6th or 7th year, approved students will be charged $3,500 per academic year or $1,750 per semester (2016-2017 rates).
Note: Students approved for reduced tuition will receive a Bursar bill for the full tuition rate each semester; the student’s account will be credited by the college of the student’s special committee chair with a tuition scholarship to bring the balance due (to be paid by the student) to the reduced rate. Students on reduced tuition will still pay the student activity fee and Student Health Plan premium.
The reduced tuition may not be paid for by department, field, or PI funds and students are ineligible to receive additional Cornell support in future semesters.
- Graduate Tuition Rates
- University Policy on Graduate Student Tuition
- Application form for reduced tuition for advanced-stage doctoral students (PDF)
Graduate Student Services Office