Cornell supports your academic success through several (free) writing programs emphasizing scholarly writing and productivity.
- One-on-one feedback from peer tutors.
- Consultations on all forms of written academic work from formal essays to PowerPoint presentations.
- Help with questions, ongoing drafts, and writing skills.
Writing Retreats and Boot Camps are available during academic breaks and over the summer term.
- Fellowship applications.
- Thesis and dissertation proposals.
- Thesis and dissertation jump start or completion.
Productive Writer mailing list is offered for free and open to all, especially graduate students writing papers, proposals, theses, and dissertations.
- 15,000 subscribers from 297 graduate schools in 30 countries.
- Provides tips on time management, motivation, writing process, writer’s block, and much more.
Productive Fellowship Writer mailing list is offered for free and open to graduate students writing fellowship applications.
- Provides advice on finding and selecting fellowship competitions, writing drafts, getting and incorporating feedback, and securing letters of support.
Graduate Write-Ins provide a quiet and supportive writing space.
- Monday through Friday mornings, 8:00 to 11:00 am in the Big Red Barn.
- Free coffee and tea for productive writers!
Pathways to Success offers writing workshops and events available throughout the semester.
- Search for events on the Pathways calendar.
- Sample workshops offered in the past include: Writing a teaching statement, teaching writing in your classes while you still need support, and more.
The English Language Support Office (ELSO) offers writing support to international graduate students:
- Credit-bearing seven-week courses that introduce strategies that are applied to your current writing projects.
- Non-credit 90-minute workshops offered biweekly and focused on different types of writing.
- Individual consultations with peer tutors who can answer writing questions, provide feedback to drafts, and introduce writing strategies.
- Graduate Writing Service for consultations and writing support
- Graduate School academic writing programs
- Writing from A to B (free downloadable book on writing for Cornell graduate students)
- Proposal, Thesis, and Dissertation Writing Boot Camps
- English Language Support Office
- Graduate Survival Skills
Associate Dean for Academic and Student Affairs