Graduate Students Mentoring Undergraduates
Graduate Students Mentoring Undergraduates (GSMU) program is a collaborative initiative between the Office of Academic Diversity Initiatives (OADI), Graduate School Office of Inclusion & Student Engagement (OISE), and Cornell Dyson Business Minors and is designed to support the scholarship and professional development of undergraduate scholars in the Pre-Professional Programs, McNair Scholars Program, OADI Research Scholars, and Cornell Dyson Business Minors.
The GSMU program strives to:
- Collectively create and maintain a safe space for the cultivation of open, authentic, and honest relationships with GSMU community members
- Inform students’ pursuit of graduate studies by exposing them to and encouraging their exploration of different disciplines and post-baccalaureate journeys
- Encourage students to reflect on their undergraduate experiences thus far and consider how to shape future experiences in service of their pursuit of graduate studies
In addition to supporting undergraduate students’ paths through academic life, GSMU aims to support graduate mentors in their own growth and development. In this vein, our objective is to support graduate mentors as they:
- Share and reflect on their experiences in order to validate mentees’ experiences, inform students and support their growth, and expand their horizons and perspectives on how to manage successes and challenges in their academic journeys.
- Facilitate discussion and reflection
- Cultivate healthy and equitable relationships as mentors, colleagues, and educators
Interested in becoming a mentor?
Applications must include a completed electronic application form, written personal statement, and resume/CV. Complete applications must be submitted electronically and will be considered on a rolling basis until 11:59 PM on Sunday, August 19.
Applicants must be currently enrolled, full-time graduate students or postdoctoral fellows/associates at Cornell University and have completed at least one year in their current graduate degree program or postdoctoral position.
For more information about the GSMU program or application process, please contact GSMU staff at email@example.com.
For additional training opportunities and information about mentoring in higher education, explore the following resources: