Career preparation both in and beyond academia:
- Cornell Doctoral Alumni Career Outcomes – an interactive report on the employment status and career-related perceptions of Cornell’s doctoral alumni.
- Do You Need a Postdoc Position?
- ImaginePh.D. – A free, online career exploration and planning tool for Ph.D. students and postdoctoral scholars in the disciplines of humanities and social sciences.
- Careers Beyond Academia – Careers Beyond Academia gives Ph.D. students and postdocs the chance to test-drive specific aspects of various careers through flexible, experiential, empowering opportunities.
Careers in academia:
- Academic Job Search Series – Are you interested in pursuing your career in academia? Several Graduate School Offices collaboratively offer workshops and events to learn about the academic job search process.
- Future Faculty and Academic Careers – Explore professional development opportunities on important topics in teaching, mentoring, and academic career preparation.
- Center for Teaching Innovation (CTI) – CTI offers a range of programs and services to support effective teaching and learning practices at Cornell.
Pursuing a postdoctoral position:
- Office of Postdoctoral Studies – If you are interested in pursuing postdoctoral studies, contact Christine Holmes, the director of the Office of Postdoctoral Studies.
- National Postdoctoral Association (NPA) – The NPA is a non-profit organization dedicated to enhancing the quality of postdoctoral experience. You can find postdoctoral opportunities here.
Careers beyond academia:
- Ph.D. Friendly Employers (Excel) – Check out the list of employers in and outside the U.S. that have hired Cornell Ph.D. Alumni (The source of the data: Ph.D. Alumni Career Outcomes Survey).
- Versatile Ph.D. – The oldest, largest online community dedicated to careers beyond academia for Ph.D.s in humanities, social sciences, and STEM.
- Professional Associations – Find the professional associations that are relevant to your field or career interest.
- Ph.D. at Work – Connect with Ph.D.s working across industries through their career stories.
- CCS Alumni Connections Program (ACP) – ACP helps you take advantage of our vast alumni network to learn about their career paths.
- CUeLINKS – A university-wide platform promoting connections between students and alumni or friends of Cornell who are eager to share their knowledge and experiences beyond academia.
- CCS Exploring Options Links
- CCS Monthly e-Newsletter, CU Grad Students Career Resources – Subscribe to this newsletter for career information and job opportunities for graduate students pursuing careers beyond academia.
- Contact Cornell Career Services (CCS) at 607-255-5296 to meet the Graduate and International Career Advisor.
- Careers Beyond Academia Research Guide – a LibGuide to delve efficiently into various employment sectors and connect with potential mentors
Explore job opportunities:
Prior to taking action, explore what types of career opportunities are available to you based on your interest and skills by visiting any of the following job search engine sites:
- Cornell Handshake – A great tool for exploring job/internship opportunities. You can also find upcoming career events inside and outside Cornell.
- USAJobs and Careers in Government – Explore federal employment opportunities across the United States and around the world.
- HigherEdJobs – Explore various administrative career opportunities in higher education.
- Idealist – Explore career opportunities in nonprofit organizations.
Expand your professional network:
- Networking Skills and Building a Network – Learn why networking is important and how to build it to develop and prepare for your career goals.
- Informational Interviews – A specific networking tool for learning firsthand about a career path, employer, industry, or other career information.
- LinkedIn – Create a profile to manage your professional brand and join LinkedIn groups to build your professional network.
The following links provide career and professional development advice to graduate students and postdocs.