Changing Your Field or Program

You can make changes after you’ve enrolled, but you must obtain approval from the intended field of study and the Graduate School.

If you’re an international student seeking to change to a new degree program or field of study, the Graduate School must again verify that financial support is available for the new program. If full Cornell support is not available, you will be required to provide evidence of non-Cornell financial support for yourself and any dependents who accompany you.

Other Program Changes

The special committee may recommend that a doctoral candidate’s degree program be changed to a master’s degree program at any time.

Changes become effective prior to the start of the next term, in most cases. See the Graduate School Registrar for details.