Most fields require applicants to submit Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores. Several fields require or accept Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) instead of GRE scores. International applicants must meet our English language proficiency requirement and may be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores.
TOEFL and IELTS requirements
Please see: English Language Proficiency Requirement
GRE requirements vary by field. Please check application requirements for your proposed field for details on which tests are required.
- Deadline: The Graduate School must receive all scores prior to the field’s application deadline.
- Institution Code: All official test scores should be reported directly to Cornell University’s institution code 2098. Department codes are not used for matching scores to applications.
- Note: Please be sure to use the exact same spelling of your name on both your application and test score report.
- Score expiration: GRE test scores are valid for five years from the test date.
- GRE contact information: Educational Testing Service (ETS), Graduate Record Examinations
GMAT requirements vary by field. Please check the application requirements for your proposed field for details on which tests are required. The fields of Hotel Administration and Real Estate require GMAT rather than GRE scores. The fields of Management and Industrial and Labor Relations, and the Sloan Program in the Field of Policy Analysis and Management accept either test score.
- All official test scores should be reported directly to your field of study.
- Deadline: The field must receive scores prior to the application deadline.
- GMAT contact information: Graduate Management Admission Council