Inclusive Teaching Institute for Graduate Students and Postdocs
April 13-14, 2018
Register Now! http://bit.ly/iti2018
Space is limited, so we encourage you to sign up by April 9.
The mission of the Inclusive Teaching Institute for Graduate Students and Postdocs at Cornell is to:
- Bring aspiring educators together to engage proactively in complex discussions about aspects of diversity at Cornell and beyond.
- Support early career academics and professionals in incorporating inclusive teaching practices into their classrooms.
- Foster curiosity in continued personal and professional growth, individually and collaboratively, on matters of diversity in higher education.
By participating in the Inclusive Teaching Institute, participants will:
Explore your own social identities to increase awareness of how those inform your teaching
Consider how to use the framework to guide your planning for increasing inclusive teaching practices.
Examine complexity of student experience and identity development
Categorize things that impact classroom climate
Identify inclusive teaching strategies
Explore the LARA method for communication with guest facilitators from the Intergroup Dialogue Project
About the Inclusive Teaching Institute
Who? The institute is aimed at graduate students and postdocs* who are committed to teaching across abilities and incorporating various experiences while ensuring that the classroom space is a place for all to learn without hesitation or prejudice.
*e.g., postdoctoral associates and fellows, research associates, etc.
What? The institute is a two-day retreat, and the agenda has been put together by a committee of staff from the Center for Teaching Innovation and Cornell University Center for the Integration of Research, Teaching, and Learning (CU-CIRTL), with input from graduate students and postdocs.
When? Friday, April 13, 2018 from 1:00-6:00 pm and Saturday, April 14, from 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
The Inclusive Teaching Institute for Graduate Students and Postdocs is organized by the Cornell University Center for the Integration of Research, Teaching, and Learning (CU-CIRTL) and Center for Teaching Innovation, with additional support from The Council of Graduate Schools (CGS) and Educational Testing Services (ETS) Award for Innovation in Promoting Success in Graduate Education: From Admission through Completion to Cornell University Graduate School.
Space is limited, so for best availability, please register for the April 13-14, 2018 session by the end of the day on Monday, April 9: http://bit.ly/iti2018
For more information, please contact:
- Colleen McLinn, Center for the Integration of Research, Teaching, and Learning (CU-CIRTL) - 607-255-2030, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Melina Draper, Kimberly Kenyon, or Derina Samuel, Center for Teaching Innovation (CTI) - 607-255-7224, email@example.com
- Graduate School Newsletter story about the Spring 2016 institute
- Inclusive Teaching Series
- CTI’s Faculty Institute for Diversity
A gallery of participant and organizer images from the Inclusive Teaching Institutes 2016 and 2017 and follow-up events: