NextGen Professors: Call for Applications
NextGen Professors is a career-development program focused on preparing Cornell graduate students and postdocs for faculty careers across institutional types. The primary audience for this program is doctoral students (in year three or beyond) and postdocs from backgrounds historically underrepresented in the professoriate and/or those with a demonstrated commitment to advancing diversity, inclusion, access, and equity in academia. Participants are members of a cohort who, together, engage in series of professional and career development activities including monthly NextGen Professors meetings, Power Mentoring Sessions with faculty, and the Future Professors Institute. Participants also engage in program offerings of Future Faculty and Academic Careers, which focus on effectively integrating research and teaching skills for career development.
(to apply for the 2021-2022 cohort)
- Application Package Priority Submission Date: September 28, 11:59 p.m. ET
- Decisions released by mid-October 2021
- First Cohort Meeting: October 25, 2021, 4:00 – 5:30 p.m. ET
This program is focused on advancing diversity and inclusion within the professoriate with an emphasis on engaging doctoral students and postdocs from backgrounds historically underrepresented in academia and/or those with a demonstrated commitment to advancing diversity, inclusion, access, and equity in academia. Backgrounds historically underrepresented in the professoriate include the following:
- first-generation college graduates
- members of ethnic and/or racial groups historically excluded from and underrepresented in graduate education – Black, Indigenous (Native American, Alaskan Native, Native Hawaiian, Native Pacific Islanders, other Indigenous peoples), and/or Hispanic/Latina/o/x
- scholars managing a disability
- having a gender identity and/or sexual orientation historically underrepresented in their field of study
Doctoral students applying to the program should be in year three of their doctoral studies or beyond.
To apply, please fill out the NextGen Professors Application, within which you will be prompted to upload the following documents. Follow the links for our recommended resources on developing these mini statements.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Teaching Mini Statement (500 words or less)
- Research Mini Statement (500 words or less)
- Diversity Mini Statement (500 words or less)
Note: We appreciate that the task of preparing these documents could feel daunting for future faculty who have not yet begun to develop such statements. However, draft statements should be reflective based on your experiences thus far and should also consider what you hope to accomplish in the near future as you prepare for the academic job market. These documents will serve as baseline products that NextGen Professors will build upon and refine over the course of the year through their participation in this program.
Application form in Qualtrics
This initiative is co-sponsored by the Graduate School Office of Inclusion & Student Engagement and Future Faculty and Academic Careers. It is also supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. 1647094 (CIRTL AGEP). Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.
Please contact Graduate School Associate Dean for Inclusion & Student Engagement Sara Xayarath Hernández (email@example.com) or Future Faculty and Academic Careers Executive Director Colleen McLinn (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions about this opportunity.