NextGen Professors is a career-development program focused on preparing Cornell doctoral students and postdocs for faculty careers across institutional types. The primary focus audience for this program are graduate students and postdocs who identify with backgrounds historically underrepresented in the academy, and/or those with a demonstrated commitment to advancing diversity, inclusion, access and equity in the academy. Participants are members of a cohort who together, engage in series of professional and career development activities including monthly NextGen Professors meetings, Power Mentoring Sessions with faculty, and the Future Professors Institute. Participants also engage in program offerings of CIRTL at Cornell, which focus on evidence-based practice of teaching, inclusive teaching and learning, and effective mentoring practices.
Priority Audiences: Doctoral students (in year 3 and beyond) and postdocs from backgrounds historically underrepresented in the professoriate (see below for details).
- Application Package Priority Submission Date: October 10, 2018
- Decisions released mid-October 2018
- First Cohort Meeting: October 29, 2018
This program is focused on advancing diversity and inclusion within the professoriate, with an emphasis on engaging doctoral students and postdocs from backgrounds historically underrepresented in the academy, and/or those with a demonstrated commitment to advancing diversity, inclusion, access and equity in the academy. Backgrounds historically underrepresented in the professoriate include the following:
- first-generation college student
- member of an ethnic or racial group historically underrepresented in the academy (Black/African American, American Indian/Alaskan Native, Native Hawaiian or other Native Pacific Islander, Hispanic/Latino)
- scholars managing a disability
- being of a gender or orientation identity historically underrepresented in their field of study,
Doctoral students applying to the program should be in Year 3 of their doctoral studies or beyond.
To apply, please fill out the NextGen Professors Application, starting September 1, within which you will be prompted to upload the following documents. Follow the links for our recommended resources on developing these mini statements.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Teaching Mini Statement (500 words or less)
- Research Mini Statement (500 words or less)
- Diversity Mini Statement (500 words or less)
This initiative is co-sponsored by the Graduate School Office of Inclusion & Student Engagement and CIRTL at Cornell. It is also supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. 1647094 (AGEP CIRTL), and by the ETS/CGS Award for Innovation in Promoting Success in Graduate Education. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.
Please contact Graduate School Associate Dean for Inclusion & Student Engagement Sara Xayarath Hernández (email@example.com) or CIRTL at Cornell Executive Director Colleen McLinn (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions about this opportunity.