Registration is the first step in your study at Cornell. Once registered with the university, you will have established your student status and be able to use Cornell’s many resources.

Registering does not enroll you in any courses. It simply establishes your student status.

You must be registered each semester until you finish your degree or withdraw from the program. You do not have to register if you are granted a leave of absence. The Office of the University Registrar determines student registration status. In order to be considered a registered student by the university, a student must:

  • Enroll in at least one course, or enroll in a graduate thesis/dissertation research course;
  • settle all financial accounts, including current semester tuition;
  • clear any holds, whether these are from the Bursar’s Office, Cornell Health, the Judicial Administrator, or The Graduate School; and
  • satisfy New York State health requirements.

Checking Your Registration Status

Students can check their registration status at the beginning of the semester using Student Center. Look at the “Holds” box on the home page of Student Center. If you have no holds, you are registered with the university. If you have a hold that says:

  • “No Registration, Trans, Diploma” or
  • “No Registration”

then you are not registered. It is possible for there to be other holds listed that do not affect registration. Click on “Details,” then click on the “Hold Item” link to find out what is affected and how to clear the hold.

After the third week of classes you will lose access to university services and be charged a $350.00 late fee, in addition to finance charges. If you register after the sixth week of classes, you will be charged a $500 late fee, in addition to finance charges.

Summer Registration

Students must register for the summer session if, during the summer, they will receive financial aid, fellowships, loans, assistantships, travel grants, or tuition awards. You also must register in order to use campus facilities during the summer. If you are not on campus, but meet any of the previous conditions, you must register for the summer.

Summer Registration is automatically granted to all students who enroll in a non-credit summer graduate research course through their Student Center. Enrollment opens in mid April. There is no tuition charge for summer registration and enrollment in the graduate research course, although students requesting a registration unit for summer study do pay tuition.

Changing your Registration Status

You must notify the Graduate School if you wish to withdraw, take a leave of absence, or otherwise cease to be registered.

Non-registered Status 

Non-registered status means a student has withdrawn or has allowed his or her registration status to lapse.

Concurrent Registration 

Cornell University does not allow concurrent registration with other universities except through the Exchange Scholars Program. If you attempt to do register concurrently, your Cornell registration will be terminated.