Enrollment in Your Program

Enrollment is the official recognition of a student’s relationship with the university and is the basic authorization for a student’s access to campus resources each semester. You must be enrolled each semester until you finish your degree or withdraw from the program. To enroll, a student must:

  • Settle all financial accounts, including current semester tuition;
  • Clear any holds, whether these are from the Bursar’s Office, Cornell Health, the Judicial Administrator, or the Graduate School;
  • Enroll in courses or in graduate research credits; and
  • Satisfy New York state health requirements.

Checking Your Enrollment Status

Students can check their status at the beginning of the semester using Student Essentials. Verify that all holds are cleared and that you have enrolled for course or research credits.

There are several different types of holds – some are informational and must be completed for graduation, and some are immediate and prevent current semester enrollment. Your holds are listed at the top right of the page. Click on “more information” for complete details including steps to resolve a hold.

Students who are not enrolled by the deadline risk being withdrawn from the university. When withdrawn, they will be dropped from classes, and services such as (but not limited to) library access, housing, dining, door access, Canvas, and bus service will be terminated.

Summer Enrollment

Students must enroll for the summer term if, during the summer, they will receive financial aid, fellowships, loans, assistantships, travel grants, or tuition awards. Students also must enroll to use campus facilities during the summer. If you are not on campus, but meet any of the previous conditions, you must enroll for the summer. 

Summer enrollment is automatically granted to all students who enroll in a non-credit summer graduate research course through their Student Center. Enrollment opens in mid-April. There is no tuition charge for summer enrollment in the graduate research course.

Note: Summer courses offered through the Cornell School of Continuing Education are not covered by graduate tuition.  Additional tuition expenses will apply.

Changing your Status

You must notify the Graduate School at gradstudserv@cornell.edu if you wish to withdraw, take a leave of absence, or otherwise cease to be enrolled.