The Graduate School offers research and professional degrees in nearly 100 fields of study, with opportunities for further exploration in 18 minor (non-degree granting) fields.
The M.A. and M.S. degree programs are designed for those who wish to obtain further education in a selected field and to develop their ability for critical inquiry, independent research, and teaching.
Ph.D. programs are designed for individuals who demonstrate the potential to perform original research under guidance, with a view to various careers, including those in research and teaching.
See our fields of study search for more information on the degree programs we offer.
- M.S. (Master of Science)
- M.A. (Master of Arts)
- M.A./Ph.D. or M.S./Ph.D. (joint Master’s/Doctor of Philosophy)
- Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy)
Research degrees with an original thesis or dissertation as part of the degree requirements.
- D.M.A. (Doctor of Musical Arts), typically 3 or more years
- J.S.D. (Doctor of Science of Law)
- M.F.A. (Master of Fine Arts), Creative Writing
Professional degrees prepare students to practice their profession at an advanced level, to teach the subject matter of their profession, or to pursue original investigations into its functions, administration, history, and progress.
- M.F.S. (Master of Food Science), 1 year
- M.I.L.R. (Master of Industrial and Labor Relations), 2 years
- M.L.A. (Master of Landscape Architecture), 3 years
- M.P.H (Master of Public Health), 1-2 years; part-time option
- M.P.S. (Master of Professional Studies), typically 1 year
- Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Applied Statistics
- Human Ecology
- Industrial and Labor Relations
- Information Science
- Real Estate
- Veterinary Medical Sciences, 12 months
- M.R.P. (Master of Regional Planning), 2 years
Professional Degrees Administered Outside the Graduate School
The following degrees are administered outside the Graduate School, but prospective students will use the Graduate School application.
- M.Arch. (Master of Architecture), College of Art, Architecture, and Planning, 3 ½ years
- M.Eng. (Master of Engineering), College of Engineering, typically 1 year
- M.F.A. (Master of Fine Arts), typically 2 years
- M.H.A. (Master of Health Administration), 2 years (with 18-month online Executive M.H.A. option)
- M.M.H. (Master of Management in Hospitality), College of Business, 3 semesters (with 20-month online Executive M.M.H. option)
- M.P.A. (Master of Public Administration), 2 years (with 18-month online Executive M.P.A. option)
- M.P.S. Applied Economics and Management (Master of Professional Studies), College of Business, typically 1 year
- M.P.S. Management (Master of Professional Studies), College of Business, typically 1 year
- M.S. Business Analytics (Master of Science), College of Business, 16 months, part-time
- M.S.L.S. (Master of Science in Legal Studies), Law School, 20 months, part-time
Additional Professional Degrees
The following degrees are offered by Cornell University, but not administered by the Graduate School. Students interested in these degrees should visit the following websites.
College of Veterinary Medicine
Cornell Law School
- Jacobs Technion-Cornell Dual Master of Science Degrees with a Concentration in Connective Media
- Jacobs Technion-Cornell Dual Master of Science Degrees with a Concentration in Health Tech
- Jacobs Technion-Cornell Dual Master of Science Degrees with a Concentration in Urban Tech
- Johnson Cornell Tech MBA
- Master of Engineering in Computer Science
- Master of Engineering in Electrical Engineering
- Master of Engineering in Operations Research and Information Engineering
- Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Law, Technology, and Entrepreneurship
SC Johnson College of Business
Weill Cornell Medicine
- Biochemistry & Structural Biology
- Cellular & Developmental Biology
- Molecular Biology
- Immunology & Microbial Pathogenesis
- Physiology, Biophysics & Systems Biology
- Health Sciences for the Physicians Assistants
- Clinical & Translational Investigations
- Clinical Epidemiology & Health Services Research
- Biostatistics and Data Science
- Health Informatics
- Health Policy and Economics
- Computational Biology & Medicine