Understanding Deadlines and Requirements
Understanding the steps and associated deadlines in the dissertation/thesis and degree conferral process is necessary to establish a successful plan and realistic timeframe. The major steps are:
- Complete draft dissertation
- Schedule exam
- Take exam
- Make revisions
- Submit final electronic thesis/dissertation (ETD) to the Graduate School
The Code of Legislation requires students to submit a completed draft for committee review six weeks prior to scheduling the exam. Submission of the final thesis/dissertation must be within 60 days of the final exam. Students who miss the 60 day submission deadline are ineligible to register in future terms.
December 31, 2021 Conferral Deadlines
- Submit Draft to Committee: 1st week in October
- Schedule Exam: 1st week in November
- Take Exam: Mid November
- Complete Revisions: End of November
- Submission Deadline: December 1, 2021
May 30, 2021 Conferral Deadlines
- Submit Draft to Committee: 1st week in March
- Schedule Exam: 1st week in April
- Take Exam: Mid April
- Complete Revisions: End of April
- Submission Deadline: May 1, 2021
August 16, 2021 Conferral Deadlines
- Submit Draft to Committee: 1st week in June
- Schedule Exam: 1st week in July
- Take Exam: Mid July
- Complete Revisions: End of July
- Submission Deadline: August 1, 2021
Use this checklist to guide your process.
- Complete your research.
- Learn about thesis and dissertation formatting guidelines.
- Develop a detailed outline for your approach to writing your dissertation or thesis.
- Write the body of text for the dissertation or thesis.
- Complete your draft thesis/dissertation six weeks prior to your final examination and submit to all members of your Special Committee.
- Schedule your final exam one week before your final examination date, and submit a final draft of your dissertation/thesis to each Special Committee member.
- Take your final exam (“B” Exam), oral dissertation defense for Ph.D. candidates, or (“M” Exam) an oral thesis defense for master’s candidates, six-eight weeks before conferral date.
- Make changes as specified by the Special Committee.
- Submit the final electronic version of dissertation or thesis (ETD) to Graduate School using ProQuest. See Thesis and Dissertation Submission Process for instructions.
- Attend commencement and celebrate!