Understanding Deadlines and Requirements
Understanding the steps and associated deadlines in the dissertation/thesis and degree conferral process is necessary to establish a successful plan and realistic timeframe. The major steps are:
- Complete draft dissertation
- Schedule exam
- Take exam
- Make revisions and get committee approval
- Submit final electronic thesis/dissertation (ETD) to the Graduate School
The Code of Legislation requires students to submit a completed draft for committee review six weeks prior to scheduling the exam.
December 31, 2019 Conferral Deadlines
- Submit Draft to Committee: 1st week in October 2019
- Schedule Exam: 1st week in November 2019
- Take Exam: Mid November 2019
- Committee Approval: End of November 2019
- Submission Deadline: December 1, 2019
May 26, 2019 Conferral Deadlines
- Submit Draft to Committee: 1st week in March 2019
- Schedule Exam: 1st week in April 2019
- Take Exam: Mid April 2019
- Committee Approval: End of April 2019
- Submission Deadline: May 10, 2019
August 19, 2019 Conferral Deadlines
- Submit Draft to Committee: 1st week in June 2019
- Schedule Exam: 1st week in July 2019
- Take Exam: Mid July 2019
- Committee Approval: End of July
- Submission Deadline: August 9, 2019
Use this checklist to guide your process.
- Complete your research.
- Learn about thesis and dissertation formatting guidelines.
- Develop a detailed outline for your approach to writing your dissertation or thesis.
- Write the body of text for the dissertation or thesis.
- Complete your draft thesis/dissertation six weeks prior to your final examination and submit to all members of your Special Committee.
- Schedule your final exam one week before your final examination date, and submit a final draft of your dissertation/thesis to each Special Committee member.
- Take your final exam (“B” Exam), oral dissertation defense for Ph.D. candidates, or (“M” Exam) an oral thesis defense for master’s candidates, six-eight weeks before conferral date.
- Make changes as specified by the Special Committee and obtain their final approvals using the Thesis and Dissertation Approval System one month before conferral date. See Thesis and Dissertation Approval Process for detailed instructions.
- Submit the approved final electronic version of dissertation or thesis (ETD) to Graduate School using ProQuest. See Thesis and Dissertation Submission Process for instructions.
- Attend commencement and celebrate!