Computer Science Ph.D. (Ithaca)
Field of Study
The Cornell Ph.D. program in computer science is consistently ranked among the top six departments in the country, with world-class research covering all of computer science. Our computer science program is distinguished by the excellence of the faculty, by a long tradition of pioneering research, and by the breadth of its Ph.D. program. Faculty and Ph.D. students are located both in Ithaca and in New York City at the Cornell Tech campus. The Field of Computer Science also includes faculty members from other departments (Electrical Engineering, Information Science, Applied Math, Mathematics, Operations Research and Industrial Engineering, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Computational Biology, and Architecture) who can supervise a student's Ph.D. thesis research in computer science.
The Field of Computer Science is intended for students who are primarily interested in the general aspects of computational processes, both theoretical and practical. Areas of research in the field include algorithms, architecture, artificial intelligence, computer vision, computational biology, concurrency and distributed computing, database systems, machine learning, machine vision, natural language processing, networks, numerical analysis, programming environments, programming languages and methodology, robotics, software engineering, and theory of computation. Yu can find out more about our research here.
Contact InformationWebsite: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/phd
Phone: 607 255-8593
110D Gates Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853
Concentrations by Subject
- artificial intelligence
- computer science
- programming languages and logics
- scientific computing and applications
- theory of computation
Visit the Graduate School's Tuition Rates page.
Application Requirements and Deadlines
Fall: Dec. 15; Spring: No admission
To permit immediate enrollment in graduate-level courses, applicants are expected to have an appropriate background in the major subject chosen. Please visit our Web site for more information on the field.
- all Graduate School Requirements, including the English Language Proficiency Requirement for all applicants
- Ph.D. -- three recommendations
- Ph.D. -- e-mail questions regarding the Ph.D. application to firstname.lastname@example.org or see the CS PhD Applicant Guide.
- For more information on the Ph.D. program, please visit the Computer Science PHD page.
Demonstrate knowledge at the undergraduate level of four core areas in the computer science
Systems, AI, PL, and theory
Students should be able to solve problems in these four core areas at the undergraduate level
Demonstrate knowledge, understanding, applications, analysis, and evaluation of material at the graduate level in four out of five important core areas of computer science
- The five different core areas are as follows: algorithms and theory of computation, artificial intelligence, systems, programming languages and methodology, scientific computing and applications
Demonstrate knowledge, understanding, applications, analysis, and evaluation of the three different value systems of the three computer science research styles that differ in how they evaluate and validate research results
- The three different research styles are theory, systems, and applications.
Complete a significant computer science project.