Materials Science and Engineering M.S. (Ithaca)
Field of Study
The focus of current advanced materials research at Cornell includes ceramics, complex fluids, metals, polymers and semiconductors in the form of thin films and in the bulk. Electrical, magnetic, mechanical, optical, and structural properties are investigated. Some special topics of interest are composites, inorganic-organic hybrids, nanocomposites, organic optoelectronics, and, in relation to the structure of materials, the investigation of grain boundaries, surfaces and structural defects. Also studied are materials synthesis and processing and solid state reactions in model systems. Many faculty are involved in electronic packaging. Numerous interactions exist with other fields at Cornell.
A strong catalyst for materials research activities at Cornell has been provided by the Cornell Center for Materials Research (formerly: Materials Science Center), which provides substantial financial assistance to graduate students and maintains central research facility.
The M.S. program results in a “terminal” master’s degree; it is not related to the Ph.D. program and is not a pathway into the Ph.D. program in Cornell MSE.
Contact InformationWebsite: https://www.mse.cornell.edu/mse/programs/graduate-programs/master-science-ms
Phone: 607 255-0999
210 Bard Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853
Concentrations by Subject
- materials engineering
- materials science
Visit the Graduate School's Tuition Rates page.
Application Requirements and Deadlines
Fall: Feb. 1
Applicants should have an undergraduate degree in engineering or physical science. Additional information about course programs and research areas is available on request from the graduate field office.
- All Graduate School Requirements, including the English Language Proficiency Requirement for all applicants
- A minimum iBT TOEFL scores of Reading (20), Writing (20), Listening (15) Speaking (22), and a total iBT TOEFL score of 100+ is required to have your application reviewed. Applications submitted with scores less than any of these scores will not be reviewed. Materials Science and Engineering does not accept the “My Best” iBT TOEFL score.
- The IELTS Academic exam requires a minimum overall band score of 7.0 or higher.
- GRE General Test is recommended
- Three letters of recommendation