Applied Statistics M.P.S. (A.S.) (Ithaca)
Field of Study
The Master of Professional Studies (M.P.S.) degree in Applied Statistics is for persons interested in professional careers in business, industry or government. The M.P.S. program has three main components:
- A two-semester core course covering a wide range of statistical applications, computing, and consulting
- An in-depth statistical analysis project
- Elective coursework drawn from the resources of the Department of Statistical Science.
The program can be completed in one year by a well-prepared student with the equivalent of an undergraduate degree in statistics or applied mathematics. Students with less preparation can make up any missing prerequisites while at Cornell; in this case the program will take one to two years to complete.
The M.P.S. is intended for persons who want a short-term (one year) master's degree so as to go into business, industry, or government statistical work. The M.P.S. is not equivalent to an M.S. on several counts: the M.P.S. has a project (a large-scale data-analysis project) rather than a thesis or a qualifying exam (which would be the case for an M.S.). The mathematical probability/statistics component of the M.P.S. is less than it would be for an M.S. (which would be considered the first part of a Ph.D.).
Contact InformationWebsite: http://www.stat.cornell.edu
Phone: 607 255-8066
301 Malott Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853
Concentrations by Subject
- applied statistics
Application Requirements and Deadlines
M.P.S.: Fall, Feb. 1; Spring, Oct. 1 (Note: Only limited number of Spring term admissions are available. Applicants for Spring admission may also be a considered for the subsequent Fall term upon request.)
In their transcripts, applicants must show strength in the mathematical sciences. Applicants must also demonstrate strong motivation for advanced study in statistics. Submission of GRE general test scores is recommended.
- all Graduate School Requirements, including the TOEFL Exam or IELTS Academic Exam for non-native English applicants
- two letters of recommendation (up to four are allowed). At least two of your letters must be written by faculty members from your current or prior academic institution who are acquainted with your academic work.
- GRE general test for M.P.S.
Upon completion of the MPS degree, students will have
Demonstrated mastery of basic statistical theory and methods;
Developed proficiency in the use of statistical software;
Achieved breadth and diversity of knowledge through elective courses;
Demonstrated the ability to creatively use statistical methods to solve real-world problems.
Demonstrated the ability to work in teams;
Demonstrated a proficiency in oral and written communication skills appropriate for a career in industry.